Thursday, November 1, 2007

Being Watched...on Facebook

I hate the feeling of being watched.
I have this tendency of becoming a different person when I am watched. I can easily change into the Evelyn that the society expects.
Lately, I have been having troubles with posting on this blog. The reasoning: well, I've heard that people are actually reading my blog. So, each time I post something new, my sincerity in my words decreases. I become this Evelyn who tries really hard to be witty, smart, deep, or an Evelyn with an extreme attitude. This reminds me of a story...
Once upon a time, I had Facebook. Unconsciously, I slowly became a Facebook addict. Facebook ruled over me.
Facebook addiction symptoms:
It takes half an hour for me to actually fill up the freaking Evelyn is "...." in my profile. Each time I add a new photo album, it takes me at least an hour to choose which pictures I think my 700+ facebook friends would be interested in seeing. And then another half an hour to figure out a funny, provocative, eye-capturing title for that album. Don't even get me started on how long it takes me to fill in my "about me" section.
Why? Why do I care so much about how I want the society to think of me? Why do I need to be witty? Why should I have to think for half an hour each time I fill up the blanks on Facebook?
If it was truly me, it shouldn't be so time consuming, and I wouldn't feel the urge to log on facebook every hour to check on who commented on my pictures, and who wrote on my wall. Why should it matter? And why do I feel ashamed or worried when my church mentors and family members add me as a friend on Facebook?

This makes me wonder. If Facebook "friends" can create such an issue for me, how much more can real life friends and people affect who I am as a part of the society?
Do you do what you do because YOU want to do them? Do you say what you say because that's truly what YOU believe? Do you express what comes to your brain first? or do you express yourself completely different from what your inner instincts first tells you?

It's challenging, I know.
Thank God, I've broken up with Facebook cold turkey. Less distractions, more time for myself.
If you're facing the sort of problem I've faced, you might wanna consider saying goodbye to facebook sometime soon.

Cabbage Wabbage

No comments: