Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My voice

It's my first time journaling about my voice.
These are the problems that I bump into in practice rooms.
-Tension in my tongue
-My hips lock
-Occasionally, my left arm lifts itself
-I begin listening to my own voice

How do I avoid thinking about these problems as I research on the 3 modes of operatic stage?
Wesley Balk said, "To avoid the elephant, you must think of the rose."
What can the "rose" be?

Problem: Tension on my tongue--The more I think about the tension, the more my tongue tenses up.
Solution: Find an activity to get different parts of your body involved in your singing
-Rolling your hips
-Rolling your shoulders
-Singing on one leg
-Finding a focal point, and sing to the focal point

Problem: I don't believe in my voice.
How does one sing if one does not believe in one's voice?
I cannot practice if I don't believe in my musicality.
I cannot memorize and learn a piece if I cannot imagine myself doing it.

Solution: Think positive!
-I am always practicing to become better.
-There is no point to practice if there is nothing to improve from.
-There is no point to living if I was already perfect to begin with.
-I will become better and I want to sing

My tension comes from my desire of wanting to control my voice. Wanting it to sound perfect.
Control must be released.
Free from my anger and dissatisfaction in my yet-to-be-improved voice.

No comments: