Thursday, June 12, 2008

On Tuesday

Janet and I figured out how entangled my face was to my voice. When I was trying too hard to sing, my face scrunches and moves the way the pitches change.
It was especially difficult on faster songs.

What worked was when I could imagine a separation between my vocal chord and breathing system from my face.
By focusing merely on my face, instead of my singing, it instantly freed up my voice.
All the focus that I have given in my singing has placed such a great amount of tension around my tongue and vocal chords. By working on my facial muscles, I was able to take away all the energy from my pushed voice and focus it all right into my face.

The exercises that I have been doing this week were:
-Warming up with extreme facial masks.
Note***Must be a little more watchful on the jaw. It seems like most of my masks are heavy on the jaw area.
-Warming Up and Singing the Recitative in extremely loose la-la-la-la's


Cabbage Wabbage

1 comment:

Listener said...

Good ideas, Ev...
Yesterday I saw and heard an orchestral medley and an opera performed by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra-- An abbreviated version of the play A Midsummer Night's Dream was translated into rhyming German, somehow, and sung and spoken. It was really cool. I thought of you; you would've liked it, and seen how expressive and loose the main narrator was when she spoke and sang... It's quite a task to do all that...