Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Unlearning

Babies need encouragement to know what they're doing right.
Babies need encouragement to know that they can.
Babies need encouragement to know that they are loved.
Babies need encouragement to know that they are more than what they think they are.
Babies need encouragement to know that they are allowed to choose what's right.

Why do I speak of this? How do I know what babies need?
Because, I was not a baby who was showered by encouragements.
I was an extroverted baby who had to be consistently be controlled and disciplined. Quite the opposite, I was discouraged from being myself.
Well back then, my parents did it to ensure that I learned how to control my emotions, my pride, my extroverted characteristics. It was out of love and care. They were just trying to protect me.
However, as a kid, I did not see this. Instead, I saw myself as a failure to my parents, a problem kid, the worst out of the four, the daughter who just never had it.
Now as an adult, this misunderstanding has become a rather serious obstacle in my growth. I have to unlearn many things that I've felt in the past decades, and re-condition myself to love some things that I've somehow learned to hate in the past.
What do I mean by the word "unlearn"?
It is to completely abandon some subjects that you've once held as essential in your past.
Abandon, turn away, weed out (down to the roots), to disconnect yourself from whatsoever it is that you are planning to unlearn.

When this is done successfully, you'll find yourself most vulnerable and lonely.
So please be aware that the choice to unlearn is liberating but it will cause living a more difficult process than how it use to be. It's no longer the same old routine.

So be careful with what you choose.

Cabbage Wabbage

No comments: