Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Malaysianity Withdrawal

How I miss your breeze
How I wish I was able to know you better
To walk on more of your sand and beaches
To climb more hills and mountains
To swim in the dark blue sea
and taste more of your fresh young coconuts.

So I was talking to my aunt from San Francisco on Christmas day and I told her how much I would like to go back to Malaysia.
"Yi yi we miss our Malaysian identity so badly. We wish we can plan on a date for the whole family to gather in Malaysia once again." Sadly, her response was, "Let's first plan on completing your education. Maybe after grad school."
GRAD SCHOOL?? That's like 4000000 more yearssss.
Eight years. It's been eight years since I bid my farewells. Since I waved at my friends in the airport. Since I told my best friends that I would be back in 3 or 4 years.

It's been eight years. How can I still call myself a Malaysian and posses a red Malaysian passport? What rights do I have to speak for my country?
You know...come to think of it, I actually feel pretty hypocritical whenever I introduce myself as a Malaysian international student in Augsburg College...

Oh, Malaysia
How I miss you...

Cabbage Wabbage

1 comment:

busterwife said...

so sad... =(
i hope you do get to go back soon and connect all your parts - the lost ones and the new ones and the ones yet to be. it'll be so special to introduce them all to eachother and figure out how they can all get along. and they will. =)