Monday, August 4, 2008

International Students

August is here and that means International Student Orientation is finally here.

I love doing this job.
Coordinating the orientation with Jim always puts me back to the mindset of an international student.
Watching the excitement in the eyes of the students give me so much joy.
The life they are about to experience in an American college.
The new perspectives they will learn in their courses.
The new friends they will make. You may even find best friends if you're lucky.
The new culture, food, and shopping malls.
For the Norwegians, their eyes are distracted by the cheap numbers on price tags.
And then I also get to see the down moments of their arrival.
Missing their loved ones, parents, brothers, sisters, their friends...
And how tired they get from the first day of orientation.
Surprising information about their living spaces, classes, meal plans, Augnet account, financial situations, etc.

Ah, yes...over stimulated youngins trying to calm themselves down in their brains.
Look cool and don't be a fool!
And the crooked smile that tries to hide but screams out "!@#$%^&*(!!!" from one corner to the other.

I love this job so much.
It reminds me of myself--of my first days in Augsburg...


Cabbage Wabbage

No comments: