Sunday, August 10, 2008

Olympics

"Why settle for silver when you can get gold?!"
Isn't that such a bald punctuated question? I wish I can live my life with that attitude everyday.

I've been thinking lately. What is the difference between pride and confidence.
Ever since I was young, I have been told that pride is bad. Pride will bring failure. Pride is sinful.
What does that mean?
Am I not suppose to imagine achieving the impossible successes?
Am I not suppose to desire to win and be the best?
Am I not suppose to celebrate my successes?
Am I suppose to expect failure after each success?

I believe I have misconceptions of this word "pride".

I believe I can be more than what I am.

I want to bring it on. I want to set a pace.


Has anyone else felt like this before?

Cabbage Wabbage

1 comment:

klados said...

Pride means different things in different contexts. When you talk about pride as it relates to self-esteem, I think that most people think of having a healthy self-image as having pride. From a Christian stand point, pride is bad because it is a unrealistic attitude that we as humans are good and have the power to make things happen in our lives when in fact it is God who holds our lives and our destinies.

It's not wrong to be good at something and know it. It is not healthy however, to attribute that to yourself and not to God. Satan fell because of it, as well as Adam and Eve, and of course, countless others.

I think there many good examples of people we know who are good at something and who have a healthy and humble appreciation of that talent.

(I'm not talking about the typical Asian self-deprecating thing we often do in deflecting praise. That's equally silly.)

It's our attitude in how we handle our success (and failure) that ultimately determines what kind of pride we have.

So, go ahead and aim for the gold. But regardless of the outcome, 1st or last place, remember to give glory to the right person.