Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Good Accompanist

Today, in piano lesson, I learned how to accompany myself while singing.
It was interesting because I never realized how engaged an accompanist has to be while playing for the soloist. There's so much to consider and it is very challenging.
Accompanying is not about making background music for the soloist, but it takes a very intelligence and humility to accompany successfully.
You have to follow the pace of the singer while keeping a steady rhythm for the soloist.
You have to know the harmonies of the music. You have to imitate the sound of an orchestra.
You have to listen to the dynamics of the soloist. You have to know what different soloist needs in different pieces.
And after doing all of that, you as the accompanist most importantly must never allow your own ideas and feelings for the music get in the way of the soloist's interpretation of the music.

Oh man. I look at my accompanist from a brand new perspective now.

I have so much respect for him now that I've learned all of this.

Cabbage Wabbage

1 comment: