Friday, February 27, 2009

My Very First Tango Lesson

Last night, I made a spontaneous decision to join my good friend, a great violinist and musician for a night of tango.
It was the most marvelous experience I've had in a while. I've always loved to dance as a kid, but never had the means to take lessons. But last night, I understood that my love for dance has yet to cease.
There is such flow and confident on the tango dance floor. Swift but not fast. It flows like clear river, but like the currents, you must keep the rhythm.
Ya? Tango is a beautiful choice.
I will keep taking classes from this teacher, Florencia. She's from Argentina, so she knows the real deal here.

4 things I've learned from this lesson:
1) Feel an electric connection from your chest to the partner's chest
2) Move from the hip down
3) Trust your partner who happens to be the leader since I am in fact the female
4) Shoulders rolled back, chest high supported from your diaphragm

Oh, one last thing: Rhythm, rhythm, RHYTHM!!!!

Cabbage Wabbage

1 comment:

Jean Tsen said...

one of my japanese friends from Waldorf, Noriko Sakaruoka (might have butchered her last name), is studying in U of M and she's a tango dancer. i know when she was still at Waldorf, she's been to the twin cities just to take tango lessons from Argentinian pro's. i wonder if it's the same place!